Shri Suresh Chandra
|Date of Birth||5th November, 1958|
|Qualifications||B.Sc., LLB, Diploma in Management, LLM|
|Address||Qr. No. 3/3: Block Q, Sector-13, R.K. Puram, New Delhi-110066|
|Phone No/Fax No.||011-23387908/ 23384403|
|Service||Indian Legal Service|
- Legal Experience:
- Union Law Secretary w.e.f 14.6.2016- till date.
- Additional Secretary from 29.3.2016 to 13.6.2016 in the Department of Legal Affairs and also performed administrative functions.
- Joint Secretary & Legal Adviser in the Main Secretariat w. e. f. 01.04.2014 to 28.03.2016 and dealt with ‘Administration’, ‘Judicial Section’ and other advice matters to various ministries.
- Legal Adviser to Railways w.e.f. 20.05.2013 to 01.04.2014 and dealt with all legal issues such as advice, conveyancing, legislative proposals, appointment of counsels, litigation etc.
- Legal Adviser to Ministry of Defence w.e.f. 2009 to 2010 and dealt with all legal issues including litigations pertaining to concerned departments including three Armed forces, DRDO, DGDE etc.
- Joint Secretary and Incharge, Branch Secretariat, Kolkata w.e.f. September, 2011 to January, 2012 and dealt with all legal issues arising out of various central Govt. Offices in Eastern Region including North East in day to day functioning and also looked after litigation in the region besides administrative functions being Branch Head.
- Legal Adviser to Ministry of Labour w.e.f. 2005 to 2009 and dealt with all legal matters arising out of the Ministry, DGET, DGLW, CLC, ESIC, VVGNli and EPFO including the legislative proposals.
- Additional Legal Adviser in CBI (in the officer of Directorate of Prosecution, CBI) w.e.f. 2004 to 2005 and dealt with Legal Advice matters and cases of prosecution/sanction of prosecution. Thereafter, promoted as Additional Legal Adviser in Department of Legal Affairs w.e.f. May, 2005.
- Private Secretary to Law Minister (Sh. Arun Jaitley) during period of 2002 to 2004.
- OSD to Law Minister (Sh. Arun Jaitley and Sh. Ravi Shankar Prasad) and looked after all legal matters and other functions in the Ministers’ Office. Thereafter, appointed as Deputy Legal Adviser w.e.f. 5.12.2000.
- Assistant Legal Adviser in Finance Group and Special Assistant to Law Minister (Dr. Thambi Durai) 1998 to 1999 and thereafter worked in finance group upto 27.07.2000.
- Assistant Legal Adviser in the Home Group w.e.f. 23.06.1993 to 1998 which was advising inter alia PMO, Cabinet Secretariat, MHA, M/o External Affairs, Environment & Forest, Parliamentary Affairs, Rajya Sabha/Lok Sabha Secretariat, President Secretariat.
- Law Officer in National Airports Authority (now Airport Authority of India) w.e.f. 1992 to 22.06.1993 and dealt with court cases, tendered Legal Advice and handled arbitration cases etc.
- Section Officer (G) in CSIR w.e.f November, 1988 till 1992 and among others dealt with administration, vigilance, court cases and arbitration matters.
- Assistant w.e.f. 10.04.1984 to Nov, 1988 in Ministry of Urban Development (formally, Ministry of Works & Housing) and dealt with court cases and arbitration matters in CPWD.
- As an Advocate/Counsel :
- Enrolled as an Advocate in Bar Council of Delhi vide Enrolment No. D/224/1993.
- Notified as the Govt. Pleader in 2005 for Delhi High Court.
- Notified as the Govt. Pleader in 2011 for Calcutta High Court, Kolkata.
- Adjudicatory functions :
- Arbitrator w.e.f 2005 till 2009 in the matters of DGS&D, Ministry of Defence/Urban Development and dealt with many arbitration cases and passed several awards.
- Arbitrator appointed on 10.07.2012 in the Ministry of Civil Aviation and has given award.
- Presiding Officer of the Tribunal constituted under ‘Cost and Works Accountant Act, 1959’ read with rule 3 of the Cost and Works Accountants (Election Tribunal) Rules, 2006.
Has been members of various Committees including:
|SNo.||Name of the Committee/ Organisation||Nominated as|
|i.||Seventh Central Pay Commission||Data Controller of Ministry of Law & Justice|
|ii.||National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy (NDSAP), Dept. of Electronics and Information Technology||Nodal Officer to function as Data Controller for Department of Legal Affairs|
|iii.||Result Framework Document (RFD)||Chairman, RFD Committee, Ministry of Law & Justice|
|iv.||Ethics Committee, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology||Member of Ethics Committee|
|v.||Institute of Constitutional and Parliamentary Studies (ICPS)||Representative of Ministry of Law & Justice to the Executive Council of ICPS|
|vi.||Training in RTI and e-governance of employees of D/o Legal Affairs||Controlling Officer for training of RTI and e-governance|
|vii.||Updation of Websites of Ministries/Departments – Dept. of Information & Technology||Web Information Manager(WIM) for Department of Legal Affairs|
|viii.||E-Security & Cyber Law – Dept. of Information & Technology||Nodal Officer of Ministry of Law & Justice|
|ix.||Biometric Attendance System||Nodal Officer for Department of Legal Affairs|
|x.||Delegation of financial power in Department of Legal Affairs||Head of the Department|
|xi.||M/s Augusta Westland Company, UK – matter of Defence||Nodal Officer|
|xii.||Arbitration Case between Sanatam, Das & Ors. Vs. Airport Authority of India & Ors.||Arbitrator|
|xiii.||DPC/Screening Committee for ACP/MACP Group ‘B’ posts of CSS Cadre||Chairperson|
|xiv.||More Effective Use of Space Technology Tools in Central Ministries/Departments||Nodal Officer|
|Xv||IMC for framing guidelines to recover undue benefits derived by fertilizer companies (Dept of Fertilizers)||Member|
|Xvi||Swachh Bharat||Nodal officer|
|Xvii||To disseminate information to M/I&B||Nodal officer|
|Xviii||To attend the 1st National Symposium in Excellence in Training||Nodal Officer|
|Xix||As Presiding Officer (Election to the Council of Cost Accountants of India) of the Tribunal under Section 10 of the Cost & Works Accountant Act, 1959.||Presiding Officer|
|Xx||Nomination of an officer as a Member of the Screening-cum Selection Committee for appointment of Legal Consultant on contract basis in the Ministry of Women & Child Development||Member|
|xxi||Nomination of an officer for co-ordination of work relating to the Photo Exhibition on the “Making of the Constitution by the Constituent Assembly” at Parliament Library Building/Parliament House Annexe on 36th and 27th Nov., 2015.||Coordination of work relating to “Making of the Constitution by the Constituent Assembly”|
|Xxii||Nomination for represent the department before the committee on “Reservation for the employment of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the Central Board of Excise and Customs”||Member|
|Xxiii||Nomination of an officer from the Dept. of Legal Affairs to be a nodal officer for expeditious allocation of the “gov.in” domain to government organizations||Nodal Officer|
- As one of the member of the Commonwealth Expert Group in the Expert Group Meeting for the Asia Region drafted ‘the Model Bill on Competition’ in its meeting held at Singapore during 10-14 May, 2004. The Bill was later on approved by the Commonwealth Heads of States.
- Attended the International Colloquium on the 80th Anniversary of the ILO Committee of Experts on “Protecting Labour Rights as Human Rights, Present & Future of International Supervision” on 24th & 25th November, 2006 at ILO Geneva.
- Participated in an Indian Delegation to South Korea in 2006 which comprised of industrialists, trade union leaders and government officials and had discussions and interactions with the government agencies, industrial workers, trade union leaders and employers and studies the labour laws of South Korea.
- Participated in WIPO Diplomatic Conference to adopt a Treaty on Protection of Audio Visual Performance and signed the Final act on behalf of India in China in June, 2012.
- Led an Indian delegation as a Leader to Algeria and negotiated Mutual Legal Assistant Treaty in Civil & Commercial Matters during May 10-12, 2015 at Algiers.
- Led Indian Delegation in the 49th Session of United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) at New York from 11th to 15th July, 2016.
- Participated as Speaker in conference on ‘International arbitration in BRICS- Challenges, Opportunities and Road Ahead on 27.08.2016 at Vigyan Bhawan and summed up the proceedings of all the three sessions i.e., Arbitration and dispute resolution: Focus on BRICS countries; Dispute settlement and enforcement of Treaty Awards and Towards establishment of an international arbitration mechanism in BRICS in valedictory session.
- Led the Indian Delegation in 49th session of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), New York, 27th June- 15th July 2015.
Trainings (within India and Abroad):
- Participated and successfully completed the Group Training Course at Fair Trade Commission Japan from August, 25, 2004 to September, 22, 2004 organised by the Japan International Cooperation Agency under the International Cooperation Program of Government of Japan. During the period, made a presentation on ‘Mergers and Acquisitions’.
- Participated in the International Labour Standards for Judges, Lawyers and Legal Educators conducted by International Labour Organisation (ILO) at Turin from 13th Nov 2006 to 23rd Nov 2006.
- Participated in Management Orientation Programme i.e. short term course on TP for Directors/ Dy. Secretaries of Central Staffing Scheme conducted by the Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi during July 21st to July 25th, 2003.
IT related work in Department of Legal Affairs:
- Patron of ‘Digital India Programme’ which was launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 2nd July 2015.
- Successfully implemented various IT related projects in Department of Legal Affairs-Legal Information Management and Briefing System (liMBS), National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy (NDSAP), E- Office, Online Notary Application, Content Management Framework (CMF), etc.
- In a very short time span, he took this programme as a challenge and has proved his capabilities in achieving greater heights and successfully implemented these IT projects within Department of Legal Affairs and in 58 ministries.
- Presented a paper on ‘Outline on Legal Frame Work on Solid Waste Management in India’ in an international conference organized by Jadavpur University, West Bengal, Kolkata during 2011.
- Took a training session during a training course for vigilance officers of Railways at Training Institute at Baroda (Gujarat) during 2013.
- Gave lecture on ‘Costs and Procedure for Time Bound Arbitration’ during the International Conference on Reforms in Arbitration, conducted by the International Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution on Saturday the 22nd November, 2014 at 10:15 am at Sovereign 1 Hall, Le Meridian, Janpath, Windsor Place, Janpath, New Delhi 110001.
- Lecture in seminar on ‘Dimensions of Gender Justice-Armed Forces; a Legal Perspective organized by Institute of Military Law, Kamptee during 4.09.2015-5.09.2015.
Article: Article on ‘Outline on Legal Frame Work on Solid Waste Management in India’ published in Military Law Journal, Institute of Military Law (Supplimentary-2015)(A-1 to A-13). Awards/Certificates:
- Participated and presented one paper on ‘Environment & Sustainable Development’ in the 5th Indian Congress on Quality, Environment, Energy and Safety Management System held at SCOPE Complex, Lodi Road, New Delhi during March 10-11, 2007 and was awarded ICQESMS 2007 EXCELLENCE AWARD by the Hon’ble Minister of Labour & Employment for the presentation delivered by him on 11th March, 2007.
- Cabinet Secretariat’s performance Management Division awarded certificate for attending with distinction workshop on ‘Creating and Implementing Sevottam Compliant Citizens’/ Clents’ Charter during March, 15-16, 2012 at New Delhi.
- Participation Certificate in the Sensitization Programme on ‘Prevention of HIV/AIDS’ for the officials of M/o Labour & Employment organized by the V.V Giri National Labour Institute during Sept., 29, 2006 at VVGNli Campus, NOIDA.